Germany - Heinrich Böll Stiftung
Administrative Data and Contacts
hbs / hbf
Schumannstr. 8 - 10117 Berlin - Germany
Tel: +49 30 285 34 0
Fax: +49 30 285 34 109
CEO: Dr. Livia Cotta
Tel: +49 30 285 34 111
hbs was founded in 1997, emberging from different Green, feminist and migration-orientated foundations
hbs is an independent political foundation, registered as an ´eingetragener gemeinnütziger Verein e.V.´, i.e. a non-profit association.
hbs has about 219 employees worldwide and 540 friends and supporters.
The Foundation´s headquarters is in Berlin. There are also 16 regional offices in the German Federal States and 29 worldwide.
- Executive Board: Ralf Fücks and Barbara Unmüßig
- Members Assembly (49 persons): The foundation´s foremost decision-making organ; its responsibilities include electing the Executive Board
- Expert Advisory Boards (nine persons): Staffed by independent experts who formulate proposals on conceptual issues raised in the educational programmes
- Gunda Werner Institute: Raises gender issues and fosters debate on feminism and gender democracy
- Grüne Akademie ("Green Academy"): A network for exchange between science and politics; theory and practice
- GreenCampus: Responsible for education and training, focuses on skills training in political management
- Studienwerk: Scholarships for (under-) graduate and PhD students
- Archiv Grünes Gedächtnis ("Green Memory Archive"): Collects materials related to the new social movements and to the German Green Party.
hbs´s budget for the year 2013 amounted to €47 million derived almost exclusively from public funds. Sources of funding include the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Co-operation and Development in Germany; EU funding and private contributions
Relation to the Green Party
Every party in the German Federal Parliament has a related political foundation, the budgets of which depend on their respective parties election results. The Heinrich Böll Stiftung is an independent organisation affiliated to the Green Party in Germany (Bündnis 90/Die Grünen). There are members of the Green Party in both the Expert Advisory Boards and the Members Assembly.
Topics & Activities
Democracy, Human Rights, Ecology, Gender Equality, Securing Peace in Crisis Zones and Individual Freedom against excessive state and economic power.
Offices Abroad? If So, Where and How Many?
29 offices abroad:
- Africa: Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Morocco;
- Asia: Afghanistan, Cambodia, China, India, Pakistan, Thailand;
- Europe: Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech Republic, Georgia, Poland, Russia, Serbia, Turkey, Greece, Ukraine;
- Latin America: Brazil, Chile, Mexico/Central America/ the Caribbean;
- Middle East and North Africa: Israel, Lebanon, Palestine, Tunisia;
- North America: Washington D.C.
Does the Foundation Run EU-Funded Projects?
hbs manages numerous EU-funded projects worldwide. For examples see: http://eu.boell.org/en/categories/eu-projects
Member of the Green European Foundation (GEF)
Yes (Ralf Fücks)
Member of the European Network of Political Foundations (ENoP)
Potential Themes/Projects for Future Co-operation
EU projects and collaboration in all related fields of activity
Source of Information
Questionnaire completed by hbs European Union Office