Apply now for the Federation of Young European Greens’ Summer Camp and take part in the Green European Foundation’s hackathon on social rights!
Summer Camp & GEF Hackathon
Green European Foundation partner Federation of Young European Greens is announcing an open call for participants in the Summer Camp “Our Social Rights – Our Future!” that will take place from 22 – 28 July 2019 in Serbia. GEF will support the Summer Camp and organise a hackathon that will take place on 25 and 26 July.
The summer camp will consist of five full days exploring different tools and platforms Young Greens can use to campaign and advocate for social rights. Participants will leave the summer camp with practical skills to use and share in their local contexts and on European level.
The aims of the summer camp are:
- To understand how social rights apply to specific topics – including regional specificities, a just transition towards a sustainable society, and gender aspects.
- To determine which tools to use for a campaign/advocacy depending on the cause and context, and how to apply these tools with limited resources.
- To equip participants with the skills needed to carry out hackathons in their local regions.
The five days will be divided into three parts:
- Opening of the event; sharing and building upon the conclusions from “Social Europe Now!’’ – a seminar that identified the struggles young people from various regions of Europe face today in relation to housing, education and healthcare as well as having fostered development of a common vision for the future of work.
- Hackathon – an intense, sprint-like, goal-oriented, small teamwork-based activity. Hackathon is a period of 36h when participants can plan, design and carry out their own mini-projects in small teams. The teams will be composed of young people – participants and guests – with different skills and backgrounds: activists, young advocates, lawyers, and programmers.
- Creating a Toolkit for a Hackathon on Social Rights: based on our common experience of running and taking a part in a social rights hackathon, we will create a toolkit for those who are going to organise one back home in the autumn 2019
The summer camp will be a fast pace, interactive experience of Young Greens creating campaigns together to make social rights a reality for all. Participants will also learn how to create their own FYEG-supported hackathons in their local regions in autumn 2019.
The programme will be based on the principles of non-formal education and intercultural learning. We strive for an active, inclusive environment for direct communication and sharing of knowledge. The summer camp will balance the dynamism of the hackathon with interactive discussions and reflections for participants to develop their practical and theoretical knowledge of social rights in an supportive and informal environment.
Applications are open to all young people inspired by fighting for social rights and green ideology. FYEG encourages applications reflecting diversity in all forms; therefore we welcome applications from those who identify as women*, LGBTQIA+, people of colour, or with a disability or other health impairment.
The “Our Social Rights – Our Future!” Summer Camp is the second activity of FYEG’s Reclaim Your Social Rights! project, supported by the European Youth Foundation of Council of Europe. The hackathon that will take place on 25 and 26 July and is organised by the Green European Foundation with the support of the FYEG and with the financial support of the European Parliament to the GEF.
Participants: FYEG is looking for 50 young people aged between 16-35, residing in one of the Council of Europe member states, Belarus or Kosovo*.
Language: The main language of this activity will be English. But not being comfortable in interacting in English should not prevent you from applying, as FYEG will look into translation options for the event.
Costs: The full cost of working materials, visa and lodging (accommodation in multi-bed rooms, vegetarian food, and refreshments) during the event will be covered by the organisers. In exchange, FYEG asks for a participation fee of 40 EUR for participants coming from non-EU countries and 60 EUR for participants coming from EU countries, Norway, Switzerland, and Iceland. Applicants for whom paying this fee is an obstacle for participation, should still apply and mention this in their application. FYEG will try to find a solution together with the applicant after the selection is finalised.
FYEG will reimburse 70% of travel costs for the participants coming from the EU countries, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland and 90% for the participants from the non-EU Eastern European countries within reasonable limits and within Europe, with the condition to combine the most economic and environmentally friendly way (lowest price + travel time + CO2 emissions).
DEADLINE for submitting online applications: 20 May 2019 at Midnight CET. You will be informed about the results of the selection by 5 June.
*All references to Kosovo, whether to the territory, institutions or population, in this text shall be understood in full compliance with the United Nations Security Council Resolutions 1244 and without prejudice to the status of Kosovo.