- This event has passed.
Cities are pioneering society’s path towards progressive and sustainable systems. Green activists and green municipal counselors from across North Macedonia gather to discuss how we can transform cities for the good of the people and the planet.
Part of the ‘Cities as Places of Hope’ series; a project launched in 2019 focussing on progressive city networks that are a key factor in the development of a positive narrative on the future of Europe. The project brings together partners from Spain, Croatia, Belgium, North Macedonia and Turkey.
About the Event:
The ‘In search of a green city’ event will bring together green local councillors from different municipalities and green activists from across North Macedonia from diverse green backgrounds. Together we will look at the steps already taken and the roadmap ahead to turning our cities into places of hope. The findings of the GEF Cities as places of hope project as well as local green examples will be discussed during the event.
With this event we are continuing our research and mapping of progressive and transformative practices on the Western Balkans and exploring the EU practices and possibilities for cities to organise themselves in trans-local networks and connect them to the Green movement and facilitate their exchanges.
A second public event will be organised in November ‘Talking about a green city’ where GEF project partners, municipality councillors, green activists and city network representatives will have a chance to further discuss the city level responses and initiatives amid COVID-19 and develop case studies to be implemented in the local context.
- Aleksandar Gjorgjievski National coordinator – GEF Cities as places of hope
- Sergi Alegre – Fundacion Nous Horizons – GEF Cities as places of hope – El Prat – green water management example from Spain
- Maja Morachanin – President of the green party DOM
- Sofija Gogeva – Skopje Lab
- Dejan Dimitrovski – Local green councilor in municipality of Gazi Baba
- Beti Dejanova – Local green councilor in municipality of Centar
- 10:30 – 10:40
- Introduction of the event and participants
- GEF Cities as Places of Hope – examples from Spain
- Importance of green activist’s trainings and networking
- 10:40 – 11:10
- Presentation of good practices in greening the cities
- Innovation center as a platform in providing sustainable solutions to the City of Skopje
- Citizens Initiative for transformation of Vardarishte landfill site
- Opposing the urban expansion
- 11:10 – 11:45 Discussion and conclusions
This is a closed event.
This event is organised by the Green European Foundation with the support of Sunrise and with the financial support of the European parliament to the Green European Foundation.