Are you interested in green policies and how we can transition to a carbon-free economy? Do you want to be involved in promoting a sustainable future? Sign up for our Ecotransformation summer school!
About the Event:
The transition to a sustainable, carbon-neutral future is a central theme of current European policy. Tackling the climate crisis – mitigating climate change and adapting to its inevitable effects – is one of the biggest challenges on this path.
We know how to do it. But can we convince others of that? Can we reach out to the important public and private partners and convince them that the transition to a sustainable economy is also in their interests? And does green politics go hand in hand with activism?
It turns out that we need to change the way we communicate on environmental issues. More and more people are aware of the threat of climate change, but it is difficult for them to imagine how to deal with it effectively. They need to hear a new story. The story of how we can handle the crisis together.
We cordially invite all those who are interested in green policy and want to take an active part in promoting to Ecotransformation 2020, a weekend full of interesting seminars, debates, presentations and experiential workshops grouped around several main topics:
- Urban climate crisis and what to do about it: how to transform our cities to be better prepared for climate change and to actively contribute to reducing emissions.
- Transforming the approach to landscape management: how to heal our landscape and increase its resilience to ongoing change.
- Changing ways of communicating the climate crisis and other environmental topics: using the knowledge of ecopsychology and the art of telling the story of positive change.
- Transformation of Czech ecological policy into a successful project – the role of activism, inspiration from neighbouring countries.
- Carmine Rodi – trainer, facilitator and consultant, an expert in communication skills, public speaking and storytelling techniques.
- Helena Truchlá – editor of Aktuálně.cz
- Ondráš Přibyla – founder of faktaoklimatu
- Petra Kolínská – Zelený kruh (association of Czech ecological NGOs)
- Martin Ander – Partnership Foundation (Nadace Partnerství)
- Zuzana Pavelková – Federation of European Young Greens
Additional speakers may be announced.
Thursday, 23 July
Public debate: Million Moments for Climate
Friday, 24 July
Climate change adaptation of cities
- The new building law as one of the tools to solve the climate crisis? (Petra Kolínská – Zelený kruh)
- Climate emergency – how cities respond to climate change (Martin Ander – Nadace partnerství)
- Solutions to heat and drought in cities – LIFE TreeCheck project (Dita Tesařová – Nadace partnerství)
- Blue-green-grey infrastructure (Jitka Češková – Pardubické ekologické forum)
- The transition of cities to renewable energy (Jan Krčmář – Solární asociace)
- Sustainable mobility (Roman Meliška – Consultant in Urban Mobility)
Adapting landscape to climate change
- Healing our landscape – the transformation of agriculture system in the face of the climate crisis (TBC)
Communicating climate change
- Environmental issues in the media – journalist cover of climate change (Helena Truchlá – Aktuálně.cz)
- How to talk about the climate crisis I – project “Fakta o klimatu” (Facts about climate) (Ondráš Přibyla – Fakta o klimatu)
- How to talk about the climate crisis II – topic management in the climate change discussion (Ondráš Přibyla – Fakta o klimatu)
Saturday, 25 July
Storytelling – introducing environmental topics to the public
- Workshop, in English (Carmine Rodi – lecturer of storytelling)
Using videos in environmental activism
- Workshop, in Czech (Petr Salaba – photographer and documentary filmmaker)
Transforming green politics into a successful project
- Sharing European experience (Wojciech Kubalewski – Co-Chair of Green Party Poland)
- European cooperation on environmental policies / European Green Deal (Kateřina Davidová – EUROPEUM Institute for European Policy, additional speakers to be announced)
- The relationship between activism, the non-profit sector, and politics (debate with guests from across the environmental movement, to be announced)
- How to involve young people in politics (Zuzana Pavelková – Federation of Young European Greens)
Sunday, 26 July
Workshop: Ideas for sustainable economic recovery at the urban level
This event is for a Czech audience, and it will be held at the chateau in Kostelec nad Černými lesy, 40 km west of Prague.
Price: The registration fee includes accommodation and full board (vegan meals will be available)
– standard registration fee 990 CZK
– reduced registration fee 650 CZK
– sponsorship fee (above 990 CZK)
The reduced fee is offered to those participants who for any reason cannot afford the standard amount – you do not need to disclose your reasons to us. If, on the other hand, you can afford to pay more than 990 CZK, we will use the extra money to balance the budget.
Accommodation: the registration fee includes accommodation in standard rooms with shared bathroom facilities (2-3 persons per room).
It is possible to book a room with a private bathroom for an additional fee of 100 CZK/person/night.
Meals: Full board starting with dinner on Thursday 23 July to lunch on Sunday 26 July – choice of vegan or non-vegan meals
Complete the registration form at https://forms.gle/6kUpZzxZt8mvumo88
You will receive an e-mail confirmation and instructions on how to pay the registration fee. Your registration will be binding once you have paid the fee.
The event is open for applications from all who are interested, but can be especially beneficial for:
- municipal and regional policy-makers working on environmental issues, who want to be inspired by specific examples of implementing climate solutions in practice
- people who communicate environmental issues to the public in their professional, political or civic activities – scientists, experts, teachers, activists, politicians, journalists and others
- people who take an active part in environmental or climate action in the form of activism, research, political activity, etc.
Further details on the website of the Institute of Active Citizenship: https://www.aktivniobcanstvi.cz/ekotransformace-2020
The summer school is organized the Green European Foundation with the support of the Institute of Active Citizenship and the financial support of the European Parliament to the Green European Foundation.