Do you want to gain a better understanding of the European Union and its environmental policies? Do you want to learn how to influence policy makers with novel and creative methods? Apply now for our Spring School taking place in Lisbon!
About the Event
This two-day training session will dive into environmental policies, helping participants understand the inner-workings of the European Union institutions and how environmental policies can be influenced. The session will also offer alternative tools for activism, such as using cartoons and video formats.
The details of this programme are to be confirmed.
Day 1 – 14th June
- Opening: Quercus board member and GEF director Aurélie Maréchal
- Introduction to the course, the speakers and the hotel environmental policy
MODULE 1 – EU and the Environment: official institutions and civil society organizations
- The European institutions, GEF work programme
- (Videos: Green Policy Advisors interviews) GEF director Aurélie Maréchal
- The EU Parliament: roles, activities and challenges
Pedro Valente da Silva, head of Cabinet of the EP Rep. in Portugal
- Influencing the EU Environmental legislation and policies – the role and action of NGOs
- (Videos – Projection of a “Green Minute” about the European Parliament; Interview with the EEB Secretary General; video of Greta, the Swedish girl who inspired the climate student marches)
- Paula Lopes da Silva, Quercus, former EEB board member
- Agriculture, nature and the environment. The EU Agriculture Policy: The position of C6, a coalition of Portuguese NGOs
- Domingos Leitão, Executive Director at SPEA, C6 member
- Biodiversity, green citizenship and the EU – A training experience in Brussels
(Videos of interviews done at IUCN)
- Sandra Pereira, Biologist and Environmental Education Officer, Quercus
- E-learning with the Green European Foundation
- Ioana Banach, deputy director GEF
- Work in Groups: Engaging in Green Learning online course Impact Europe
- Evaluation of the day
- Dinner at Restaurant Jardim dos Sentidos (Vegetarian)
Day 2 – 15th June
MODULE 2 – EU and the Environment: Policies, Legislation and Challenges ahead
- Introduction with a video: “Story of stuff – Microfibers”
- Circular Economy / European Waste policy / The Plastics Strategy
Larissa Copello, Zero Waste Europe
- Citizens and waste: Short presentation of QuercusWasteApp
- Introduction to the workshops; split of the groups and initial brainstorm
- Practical Workshops: Communicating on European environmental-related themes
Workshop 1: Creating an Environmental Cartoon
- Facilitated by Osvaldo Medina, teacher, BD and animation professional and Paula Silva, Quertoon Network
Workshop 2: Producing a TV Green Minute
- Facilitated by Sara Campos and João Luis Azevedo, from Quercus Green Minute team
Workshop 3: Environmental cyberactivism; designing an FB campaign
- Facilitated by Lopo de Almeida, IT consultant, Quercus member
- Presentation of workshop outputs by each group
- Evaluation of the event
- Final remarks and closing
This event is for participants aged between 18 – 26 years old.
The event will be mainly held in Portuguese, with some parts in English.
Please register via the form found here.
Deadline: 30th March