- This event has passed.
Are you passionate about feminism and women’s issues and do you want to learn more about how to combat gender inequality and build global solidarity in this struggle? Then join our “Women* in Power” conference and learn about how to turn politics into action!
About the Event:
In every country in every continent, women are fighting on a global scale to end sexism, sexist exploitation and oppression. They make their voices heard from the streets to parliament fighting for a world with gender equality, freedom and free from oppression.
We support freedom of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and sex characteristics within the framework of gender equality and feminism. We support women who fight to exist in a very patriarchal political scene and who create space for women in politics. Therefore, the Green European Foundation with the support of Green Thought Association are organising this conference that brings activists, politicians and academics from different countries together to share their experiences, to show solidarity with each other and to network.
This event is part of the GEF project “Gender Equality and Green Politics,” organised with the support of Green Thought Association. Over the past few months, we have regularly been gathering a group of Turkish activists, academics, and others to learn about and discuss issues of gender equality and feminism through a green lens. The conference builds on and is a culmination of some of these seminars, engaging a broader audience and connecting the conversation in Turkey with that across Europe and beyond.
- Terry Reintke, MEP Greens/EFA – via video message
- Małgorzata Tracz, MP and co-leader of the Polish Greens
- Helena Gualinga, Indigenous environmental and human rights activist
- Süheyla Dogan, Kazdağı Association for the Conservation of Natural and Cultural Heritage
- Begum Basdas, Humboldt University
- Deniz Bayram, Greenpeace Mediterranean, Program Director
- Gülnur Aksop, Women’s platform for equality, EŞİK – Deniz Yildizi Women’s Solidarity Association
Moderated by Nil Mutleur, Green Thought Association and Humboldt University Berlin
Session 1: Global solidarity in the women movement (ENG, with TUR translation)
- Terry Reintke will provide a video opening. Then, Małgorzata Tracz and Helena Gualinga talk about the local struggle in their countries and where it stands in the global feminist movement. The general framework of this session will be provided by Nil Mutluer, an academic and member of the Green Party in Turkey.
Session 2: Women’s struggle in Turkey (TUR, with ENG translation)
- Over the past several months in Turkey, the feminist agenda has mostly been shaped by the discussions over the Istanbul Convention, also known as The Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence. Women have been organizing campaigns in order to not lose this Convention. In the second part of the conference, Begum Basdas will focus on EU policies – with concrete examples from Greece – women and LGBTI + refugees / asylum seekers who are living in crisis conditions. Deniz Bayram will talk about the local ecology struggles and the women’s issue in the climate struggle and Gülnur Aksop will cover latest discussions and feminist movement agenda over the Istanbul Convention. Finally, Süheyla Dogan will talk about their activities, women’s struggle, and the relation to ecological movements.
The conference is taking place on the Zoom video-conferencing platform. Please register in advance via this link. The Zoom link will be sent to all registered users.