- This event has passed.
Climate change and desertification are threatening our agriculture land! Are there any innovative proposals for saving the Mediterranean landscapes from further land abandonment and degradation? This sub-project is part of the GEF project “Deforestation and Climate Change” with the support of FREDA and Green Institute Greece.
About the Event:
This event will focus on rural areas of the EU, the European Green Deal in the frame of the19th session of the Committee for the Review of the Implementation of the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification..
Green European Foundation with the support of FREDA and the Green Institute Greece are opening the discussion for the new EU budget for “Recovery and Resilience” with the aim of enhancing the production of quality agricultural products, supporting local communities, mitigating the loss of biodiversity and the effects of the climate crisis.
This event is part of the Green European Foundations project Deforestation and Climate Change.
A total of three events will be organised based on the different aspects of the same topic. The aim is to derive guidelines for the type of expenditures for productive reforestations needed to meet Climate Change mitigation targets (e.g. resilience of Mediterranean anthropogenic forest ecosystem).
- Soil and Desertification- The case of Greece
- Dr. Christos Tsadilas – Agronomis, Soil scientist, f. Director of the Soil Mapping & Classification Institute ETHIAGE (now ELGO-DEMETER)
- Geiospatial technology in the erosion and desertification research
- Dr. Dionisios Kalivas – Professor at the Agricultural University of Athens
- Sustainable Rangeland management against desertification: best practice applications
- Dr. Vasilis Papanastasis – Forest – Rangeland Ecologist. F. Director of the Laboratory of Rangeland Ecology, Professor at the School of Forestry & Natural Environment, Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki
- Autochthonous breeds of grazing animals: how could we regenerate our islands?
- Dr. Yannis Kazoglou – Agronomist – Rangeland Ecologist, Assoc. Professor University of Thessaly & General Secretary of the Association of the Greek Shorthorn Cattle Breed
- The 30 years of experience of the ‘Kallidendron’ method for the successful planting and growing of trees in desert and arid envirionments
- Dr. Spiros Karkabounas – Professor of Environmental Physiology, Medical Department, University of Ioannina
- Landscape restoration in the Aegean: the example of Andros through the project – LIFE TERRACESCAPE
- Dr. Theodora Petanidou – Professor of Ecology & Ecogeography, Department of Geography, University of the Aegean
An honorary introductory greeting will be addressed by the emeritus professor of the Agriculture University of Athens, Dr. Nikolaos Giasoglou, f. Chairman of the National Commission for Combating Desertification, pioneer for the participation of Greece in the signing of the Convention for the Suppression of Desertification and the creation of the first National Plan for Combating Desertification (1999).
The event will be moderated by the Forest Ecologist Dr. Rigas Tsiakiris on behalf of the Scientific Committee of the Green Institute Greece
Starting time: 18:00
Estimated end time: 20:30
The webinar will be held through the ZOOM platform:
Meeting ID: 882 4468 3827
This webinar is organised by the Green European Foundation with the support of Green Institute Greece and with the financial support of the European Parliament. The European Parliament is not responsible for the content of this webinar.