- This event has passed.
This event is a part of :
Want to learn more about the Green New Deal’s transformative potential in the Western Balkans? Then join us for our fourth annual conference on the topic of green economy in this region, organised with the support of Networked Serbia!
About the Event:
Today we live in a time of great crisis, confronted by one of the severest challenges that humanity has ever faced: COVID – 19 is seen as health and ecological consequence of the „business as usual “model that ignored boundaries of environmental capital, social inequalities and economic unsustainability. The Western Balkans region is affected on many levels: its fragile democracy is deteriorating, natural resources commodified, and local communities completely left on their own. There is no time to waste – we need to act now!
For four years now, Green Economy Congress aims to build synergies with actors who are developing positive initiatives in the Western Balkans and EU on a narrative which allows us to have a bigger impact in the society transformation. In 2020. more than ever we need to work together to overcome the crisis. What gives us hope is that all over the region, citizens are taking direct action – fighting for river conservation, demanding clean air and pointing out on damaging practices like deforestation, excessive extractive industry, unsustainable tourism, etc. Public policies and action from decision-makers are yet to follow.
The coronavirus crisis recovery and EU Green New Deal can be a chance to reshape a sustainable, inclusive economy, stimulating industry, protecting essential biodiversity systems and tackling climate change in Western Balkans – but only if it has a holistic approach. For two days, on October 15th and 16th, 2020. this year in digital space, using lectures and panel discussions, we will try to map this momentum.
This is the fourth edition of the Green Economy Congress, a successful conference series that has connected experts, activists, and academics across the Western Balkan and beyond. While this year’s edition will be taking place online, we hope to continue connecting great speakers and participants and sparking inspiring discussions on the topic at hand.
Green Agenda for Western Balkans: Politics & Policy
- Liljana Popovska, DOM Macedonia
- Ljiljana Jokić, URA Montenegro
- Iva Marković, Organization for political ecology Polekol
(Un)sustainable: tourism in nature protected areas
- Milan Ruzic, Bird Protection and Study Society of Serbia
Agenda 2030: Path for Green Balkans
- Natasa Gligorijevic, Center for Sustainable Development of Serbia
My Green New Deal: Green Economy from Idea to Reality
- Veljko Nešić, Small food producers in Serbia
- Predrag Milovanović, Organela
Green Cities and The New Urban Agenda
- Siniša Trkulja, independent expert
Climate Neutrality in Western Balkans: Time to set a new path
- Vedad Suljic, Regional Education and Information Center for Sustainable Development in South-East Europe
- Ana Petrovska, DOM Macedonia
October 15th, 2020
- 11: 00 – 12: 30 Panel Discussion – Green Agenda for Western Balkans: Politics & Policy
- 13: 00 – 13: 45 Lecture – (Un)sustainable: tourism in nature protected areas
October 16th, 2020.
- 11: 00 – 11: 45 Lecture – Agenda 2030: Path for Green Balkans
- 12: 00 – 13: 15 Panel Discussion – My Green New Deal: Green Economy from Idea to Reality
- 13: 30 – 14: 15 Lecture – Green Cities and The New Urban Agenda
- 14: 30 – 15:45 Panel Discussion – Climate Neutrality in Western Balkans: Time to set a new path
The Green Economy Congress will be taking online on 15 and 16 October, from 11:00 to 16:30.
Lectures and discussions will take place in Serbian and English, with simultaneous translation provided.
Please apply here. Participation in this year’s online edition is free, although voluntary contributions are very much appreciated to ensure the continued success of the Congress this year and in future editions.