- This event has passed.
Cities are pioneering society’s path towards progressive and sustainable systems. Municipality representatives, experts, NGOs and researchers sit down to discuss transforming our cities into places of hope.
Part of the ‘Cities as Places of Hope’ series; a project launched in 2019 focussing on progressive city networks that are a key factor in the development of a positive narrative on the future of Europe.
About the Event:
The pandemic has had a massive impact on life in cities; during the lockdowns all around the world, we have once again been shown importance of liveable cities.
In this process, green areas that are accessible, comfortable and planned for everyone; cities accessible by bicycle and on foot; comfortable, climate-friendly and clean public transportation vehicles, a city management demonstrating the existence of social support and solidarity opportunities became prominent needs for green cities.
In many cities, even if some of these opportunities are provided, they cannot be placed in a governance plan within a sustainable and standard framework. Therefore, in this event as part of a series of two, participants will evaluate the indicator standards for green cities and the capacities of city administrations with experts. In the second event the focus will be on concrete policy recommendations.
- IMM Istanbul Planning Agency, Vision 2050 and Institute Istanbul, Istanbul Statistics Office, IMM Urban Planning Department, IMM Parks and Gardens Directorate, IMM Directorate of Transportation, IMM Department of Environment
- The Foresters’ Association of Turkey, Streets Belong to Us Association, Center for Spatial Justice, Right to Clean Air Platform, Istanbul City Council Working Group on Climate and Environment, Sustainable Cities Network, 350.org Turkey
First Session: Analysis of the state of play
- Evaluation of the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality’s non-state climate actors network (NAZCA) goals
- Covenant of Mayors and targets within the scope of C40 and assessment of IMM’s position
- IMM policy and practice analysis
Second Session: Indicator analysis
- Evaluation of IMM’s present resources and targets for Green Municipalism indicators and tracking standards (methodology, existing data, mapping and modeling, transparency and traceability of targets, tracking and visibility)
Third Session: Assessment of needs and expectations
This is a closed event
This event is organised by the Green European Foundation with the support of Green Thought Association and with the financial support of the European parliament to the Green European Foundation.