- This event has passed.
The Green European Foundation is recruiting a full-time Political Director to co-lead the team in Brussels as of Autumn 2021.
The Green European Foundation (GEF) is a European level political foundation funded by the European Parliament. GEF is affiliated to the European Green Party and active in political education projects on European issues. Our mission is to encourage European citizens to participate in European political discussions. As a forum for cooperation at the European level, we work closely with our national member foundations and thereby aim to strengthen the Green political movement and green ideas in Europe. See www.gef.eu.
About the role
Our Political Director is the custodian of GEF’s vision, mission and strategy ensuring strong network engagement and a well-coordinated, focused and adequately funded secretariat. Through your compelling political analysis and as the main public spokesperson for the organisation, you ensure that GEF is a respected and credible entity. Politically astute, you are agile in responding to opportunities to promote GEF’s agenda while safeguarding the organisation’s reputation. You are expected to develop a political narrative which you promote through your extensive network at EU political level. You will be comfortable operating in an environment where existing plans often need to be adapted and changed and will demonstrate diplomacy and tact in supporting the movement to coalesce around key priorities and actions. To do this well, you will need to bring significant experience of advising and inspiring a Board of Directors and a busy team in a non-profit or political environment and an understanding of working with green networks and movements to achieve social justice across the EU. You will bring demonstrable proof of your ability to deliver impactful results and inspire the organisation to attain its goals. You will work closely with the Managing Director who co-leads the team, with the Board of Directors and the broader GEF General Assembly and network of partners.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Development of the strategy and political positioning of GEF
- Developing a long and medium-term strategy in coordination with the Board and the General Assembly
- Ensuring that the various streams of GEF’s work programme align with the GEF strategy; guiding and providing political input to team members in this respect
- Identifying and developing transversal initiatives and synergies between existing and new projects and stakeholders to increase the political relevance of GEF’s work
- Network development
- Supporting national green foundations stemming from regular exchanges and monitoring of political situation to identify needs and opportunities
- Consolidating and expanding GEF General Assembly membership and partners network, ensuring broad engagement and inclusivity
- Being proactive in identifying new partners to integrate in GEF’s ecosystem, with a focus on the key countries/regions defined by the GEF strategy
- External representation and relationship building
- Relationship building with political counterparts at national and European levels, with a specific focus on strengthening the cooperation with the European Green family stakeholders
- Representing the interests of GEF externally
- Exploring (European) networks and initiatives GEF and/or its partners could join or connect with
- Political analysis
- Keeping abreast of the emergence of trends, movements, and forward-looking ideas in society
- Identifying topics and debates where raising GEF’s profile would be beneficial; proposing ways to develop them further within existing GEF projects and/or through new initiatives
- Relaying relevant EU institutional and policies developments to GEF’s team, board, and network
Qualities and experience sought
- A minimum of 10 years relevant professional experience in political movements, the NGO sector or similar organisations of which 5 years in a senior management role;
- Proven ability to develop high-level strategies and to mobilise teams and networks around their delivery;
- A proven interest and experience in fields connected to political ecology;
- Fluency in English and at least one other EU language; any additional language is a precious asset;
- Good knowledge of the current European debates, EU politics and history;
- Good knowledge of the political history of the Green movement, its current developments, and its national trajectories at the European level;
- Taste for networking, exploring and building partnerships with various actors across Europe;
- Ability to work both independently and in collaborative mode within a diverse team;
- Adherence to GEF’s mission and team values (solidarity, respect, openness, sustainability and autonomy);
- Willingness to travel, availability for occasional work outside regular office hours.
What we offer
- A full-time (38h/week) position
- A salary defined by GEF’s salary scale, taking into account the category of function and prior experience of the candidates (4.610,27 EUR for 10 years’ experience, subject to Belgian tax and social security)
- Other advantages such as 13th month, flexible hours, extra holidays, meal vouchers, training budget and full public transport reimbursement
- An open, positive and engaging working atmosphere in an international environment
Starting date: autumn 2021
Office location: Brussels, Belgium
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application by 12 September 2021 (23:59 CET) here.
- The application must include a current CV and a cover letter outlining the motivation for this position, both comprised in a single pdf document which includes first and last name of the candidate in the document name.
- Links to public appearances or samples of written production by the candidate (preferably in English) can be submitted via the application form but are not a requirement.
The interviews for the position will take place in Brussels or online in the beginning of October. In case of questions, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*GEF is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to non-discrimination, diversity and inclusion; all qualified applicants will receive fair consideration regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability and minority status.
This position is open to EU and non-EU citizens.