- This event has passed.
Call for a Policy Manager
The Green European Foundation is looking for a full time Policy Manager to join the Green European Foundation team in Brussels.
About the Green European Foundation
The Green European Foundation (GEF) is a European-level Green political foundation. It is a pillar of the European green movement, together with the Greens/EFA group in the European Parliament and the European Green Party. Our mission is to offer a platform and space for debates, training, research, and new forms of collaboration within and beyond the Green family to foster a more democratic, open and just Europe.
GEF is funded by the European Parliament as a European political foundation seeking to support and enable citizens to participate, in full respect of pluralism and in an active manner, in European politics. GEF is both a Brussels-based organization and a network of national member foundations and partners.
GEF also works through projects, debates and training initiatives with many other stakeholders from academia to civil society, from business to politics. In sum, GEF is an enabler, a facilitator or a connector for the Green movement at large in Europe. For more information, visit our website: www.gef.eu.
About the role
The ideal candidate will be analytical, solution and network –creation and management– oriented: a quick-thinking team-player with strong policy and project competences and experience.
Working alongside GEF’s Political Director and the Strategy Manager, and collaborating with the rest of the team, the Policy Manager’s role is to shape, steer and implement the work of GEF regarding two of its flagship initiatives: The Knowledge Communities and The Debate Series. The flagship initiatives aim at shaping tomorrow’s ideas and foster the debate in Europe by delivering networks, publications and debates related to the two thematic areas of GEF within its Work Programme 2022-2024, namely ‘Peace and Security’, and the ‘Social Dimension of the Green Deal’.
The Knowledge Communities flagship initiative of GEF seeks to foster people to people and people to content relations that create communities of experts, practitioners and determined leaders in the thematic areas GEF has prioritised. These communities will bring cutting-edge green and progressive ideas and concepts into the public debate and will influence Green, progressive and like-minded forces and movements in Europe.
The other GEF flagship initiative, titled Debate Series, fulfills the role of a political foundation to ensure these ideas, proposals and policies are discussed and further shaped via a vibrant and direct engagement and dialogue between the Green movement and a diverse range of actors. Debates range from open to safe discussion spaces and focus on the theme of geopolitics, peace, and security.
Apart from the above-mentioned flagship initiatives, the selected candidate will oversee GEF’s growing policy work that operates through networks and commissioned studies and briefs.
- Develop, organise and manage GEF’s Knowledge Communities, bearing primarily on topics related to the ‘Social Dimension of the Green Deal’.
- Monitor key trends and major debates (both political and academic) regarding the developments in the Thematic Priority ‘Social Dimension of the Green Deal’, supporting GEF capacity to propose innovative analyses, pioneering ideas and connect with the relevant networks.
- Coordinate the GEF publications and deliverables produced by the Knowledge Communities’ partners, and this within a variety of formats (e.g. political briefs, publications and studies, Op-eds).
- Shape, design and lead the implementation and follow up on the GEF project ‘Debate Series on Peace and Security’, in coordination with the Political Director and the rest of GEF Team.
- Coordinate projects and activities in compliance with applicable rules and procedures.
- Monitor and follow up Debate Series events and advise project partners on format, contents and speakers.
- Liaise with the European Green political family and with Green movement partners, as well as with the network of GEF member foundations and partners.
- Ensure project management of Knowledge Communities and Debate Series flagship initiatives in terms of budget compliance, legal conformity, impact, and risk assessment.
- Represent GEF and present GEF outputs in external and Green movement events as assigned.
Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- At least 5 years’ work experience in similar roles;
- University studies in European studies, economics, political or social sciences or other relevant fields;
- Proven knowledge in some of the policy and political areas relating to the thematic priority ‘Social Dimension of the Green Deal;
- Capacity to follow policy, academic and political trends at different levels;
- Strong analytical skills, knowledge and interest for European affairs coupled with political sensitivity;
- Experience in overseeing, managing, and developing multi-stakeholders’ projects and networks;
- Written and oral proficiency in English and in a second European language. Any additional European language will be considered an asset;
- Innovative and out-of-the-box thinking;
- High organisational and time-management skills;
- Ability to contribute positively to a team;
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Readiness to occasionally travel and adapt to flexible working hours;
- Affinity with political ecology.
What we offer
- A paid position, with an undetermined duration contract;
- Competitive salary, based on GEF’s salary scale;
- Food vouchers amounting to 7 EUR/worked day;
- Full reimbursement of public transport in Belgium;
- Paid mobile phone subscription;
- 2 EUR/day home office allowance;
- 250 EUR/year eco-vouchers;
- 2 extra holidays on top of the Belgian legal framework, plus the period between 24 December – 2 January;
- Flexible working time and hybrid office (up to 60-80%);
- An open, positive and engaging working atmosphere in an international environment.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Office location: Brussels, Belgium
How to apply:
- Candidates are requested to submit their motivation letter and a CV (max. 1-2 pages each), both comprised in a single pdf document, in this application form;
- Deadline for applications: 4/03/2023, 23h59 CET;
- Interviews will be organised on a rolling basis;
- For questions on the role, please contact: email@example.com
GEF strives to be an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination for all applicants. We value diversity regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Non-EU candidates are welcome to apply.