- This event has passed.
The next 25th and 27th of May, from 10.30 to 12.00, the Green European Foundation with the support of Transición Verde will organise two internal working sessions around Just Transition and the Next Generarion recovery funds.
About the Event:
Transición Verde is working in Spain within the framework of the Prosoxi Alliance, an Observatory for a socially fair ecological transition, that aims to participate, as civil society stakeholders, in the design, evaluation and monitoring of the projects that are designed and implemented in Spain under the Next Generation EU Plan.
The objectives of the workshop are:
• To analyse national and international Just Transition experiences.
• Building evaluation and monitoring indicators for Just Transition in order to review and analyse the projects presented to NG.
• To improve the communication to society of everything related to Just Transition in order to encourage greater involvement of civil society in these policies.
With these sessions we intend to take advantage of the experience of the initiatives implemented by the Spanish Government through the Institute for Just Transition (mainly focused on the abandonment of the coal industry in Spain, guaranteeing a fair exit for the regions historically linked to this industry) to project it onto the transitions that will or must be entailed in some cases by the projects implemented within the framework of the Next Generation plans.
Spain has acquired international prominence in the application of Just Transition policies due to the aforementioned plans, which is why the GEF has decided to collaborate in promoting these sessions with the aim of analysing their approach and execution and also trying to draw lessons so that social actors in other countries, which will also benefit from the Next Generation EU Funds, can intervene to ensure that Just Transition is not displaced in those countries.
To do this, we have planned two working sessions which are detailed below. The organisations invited to participate will be the promoters and partners of the Prosoxi alliance, as well as GEF member foundations or partners that are currently working on Just Transition. Sessions will be held in Spanish and English (with simultaneous translation).
Organizations part of the GEF Just Transition Project:
Green European Foundation
Institut for Political Ecology (Croatia)
Green House Think Tank (United Kingdom)
FYEG (Federation of Young European Greens)
Centro Ibérico de Restauración Fluvial
Fundación Nueva Cultura del Agua
Sociedad Española de Agricultura Ecológica
Promoció del Transport Públic
Instituto Int. de Derecho y Medio Ambiente
Amigos de la Tierra
Ecologistas en Acción
Economistas frente a la crisis
Asociación Española de Operadores Públicos
Tuesday 25th of May. From 10:30 to 12:00
JUST TRANSITION IN SPAIN. LESSONS TO LEARN
Guest organisations: ILO and Instituto para la Transición Justa (Ministry for Ecological Transition)
• Dirk Holemans, co-chair of GEF, Oikos thinktank – Lead partner at GEFs Just Transition project. He will briefly comment on the importance of Just Transition and the importance of it being taken into account in Next Generation projects.
• Joaquín Nieto, Director of the ILO in Spain, will frame the session with the situation of Just Transition initiatives at the international level.
• A representative of the Just Transition Institute, who will comment on the planning and development process and the current situation of the Just Transition plans addressed by this Institute.
The speeches by the guest speakers will be short (from 10 to 15 minutes) followed by a debate among the experts and the participants.
When: 25th May 2021
This is a closed workshop.
Language: Spanish (simultaneous translation to English)
This event is organised by the Green European Foundation with the support of Transición Verde and with the financial support of the European Parliament to the Green European Foundation. The European Parliament is not responsible for the content of these workshops.