The Green European Foundation is seeking for a bilingual EN/FR Assistant to Director (short-term contract, mid-February to end August 2020)
About the Vacancy
The Green European Foundation (GEF) is a Brussels-based European level political foundation funded by the European Parliament and affiliated to the European Green Party and Green Group in the European Parliament. Our mission is to encourage European citizens to participate in European political discussions. As a forum for cooperation at European level, we work closely with our national member foundations and thereby aim to strenghten the Green network in Europe.
Our annual work programme focuses on three main areas:
- Study & Debate: we invest in research, debates and seminars on a variety of European topics, highlighting innovative Green approaches. The results are disseminated through both printed publications and online articles, raising awareness among citizens about Green solutions to the challenges Europe faces.
- Capacity-building: we promote political education and training and provide opportunities for building capacity amongst Green-minded stakeholders across Europe. Our aim is to enhance the ability of young activists and Green actors to work on issues with a European dimension.
- Networking: we act as a framework for cooperation between Green actors at the European level and encourage collaborations in a transnational manner.
We are currently looking for an experienced Assistant to Director to work with the Deputy Director and reinforce the office overall in a period of maternity leave. The role of the Assistant to Director is to execute a variety of administrative, logistics and secretarial tasks to support under the supervision of the Deputy Director and in close cooperation with the rest of the team.
Main responsibilities include
- Scheduling and setting up practical arrangements for events, meetings and travels (meeting room, catering, hotel booking, sending material, etc.); invitation to and follow-up with participants.
- Drafting emails, letters, agendas, briefings, minutes, contracts, etc.
- Following-up administrative procedures with external providers and stakeholders, and researching solutions when questions or issues arise, including with social secretariat, lawyers, bank, European Parliament, etc.
- Organising and archiving online and paper files related to the general administration of the office.
- Providing support in the processing of invoices, reimbursment forms and project reports.
- Providing assistance to projects implementation.
Qualities and experience sought
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a relevant position (g. assistant to director, secretariat, administration, etc.) ideally in a non-profit or political organisation and/or in an international or multicultural environment.
- Full working proficiency both in English and in French (written and oral skills). Other European languages are an asset.
- Service-oriented mindset, versatility and willingness to learn
- Resistance to stress and strong capacity to adapt to changing needs and priorities
- Experience and judgment working both collaboratively and independently
- Good relational and communicational skills, ability to act with discretion and diplomacy.
- Knowledge of Belgian social and/or fiscal legislation is an asset
- Knowledge or experience with legal matters, ideally in relation to European or transnational procedures and framework is an asset.
- Interest for current Green issues and debates, and commitment to GEF’s mission and team values (solidarity, respect, openness, sustainability and autonomy).
- Availability to travel occasionally and work outside regular office hours.
The Green European Foundation offers:
- A full-time (38h) position of around 6 months, starting in the second half of February until the end of August
- A competitive salary to be discussed based on experience (approx. 2300-2800 EUR gross monthly, subject to Belgian tax and social security systems)
- Extra salarial advantages such as meal vouchers, eco vouchers and full public transport reimbursement, as well as flexible hours, teleworking and training options
- An open, positive and engaging working atmosphere in an international environment.
Starting date: Second half of February 2020
Office location: Brussels, Belgium
How to apply:
- Interested candidates are requested to submit their application by attachment to an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org until 15 December 2019, midnight CET, attention of Aurélie Maréchal, Director of GEF.
- The application must include a cover letter and a CV outlining the motivation for this position at GEF, both comprised in a single pdf document which includes the first and last name of the candidate as document name. The email title must mention the position applied for.
- The interviews and practical assignments for the position will take place in Brussels or online mid-January 2020. Candidate will be notified before Christmas whether their application is successful for this round. In case of questions, please do not hesitate to send an e-mail to email@example.com.
GEF strives to be an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equality of opportunity and to non-discrimination for all applicants. We value diversity regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.